Mission Statement

The Rocky Mountain Society of Botanical Artists is an open and diverse group of artists, collectors and admirers who share a love for the practice and perpetuation of botanical art and illustration with a fond focus on plants in the Rocky Mountain Region.
We encourage and participate in educational outreach, juried and non-juried exhibits, lectures, workshops and regular chapter meetings. The RMSBA is proud to be the very first chapter affiliation of the international organization, the American Society of Botanical Artists.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Day 30 - A Drawing a Day

Drawing On the Masters
 'To draw does not simply mean to reproduce contours; the drawing does not simply consist in the idea: the drawing is even the expression, the interior form, the plan, the model. Look what remains after that! The drawing is three fourths
and a half of what constitutes painting.
If I had to put a sign over my door [to the atelier], I would write:
School of drawing, and I’m certain that I would create painters.'
Ingres


Orchid, graphite and white on toned paper, Susi Olson. Susi says, "My orchid bloomed while I was in Montana! I sort of thought they were dead; seems to like it if I ignore it. It has bloomed like crazy." This paper is a neat choice for an orchid, with an earthy organic feel and a spotty texture that mimics the spotty appearance of some orchids.

How About: collecting sketch books or just small sheets of paper that you can use for drawing and sketching. There are bound books of paper in many hues, and paper manufacturers will often provide you with test sheets, to allow you to try before you buy. Go online to your paper manufacturer and see if they don't have an artist support program that provides quality variety papers, free or at low cost. It never hurts to ask. At least that's what my cat has told me, and she pretty much gets everything she wants.
 
Click HERE to find a good discussion about toned papers in fine art.

Click HERE to send your drawing scans to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment