Mission Statement

The Rocky Mountain Society of Botanical Artists is an open and diverse group of artists, collectors and admirers who share a love for the practice and perpetuation of botanical art and illustration with a fond focus on plants in the Rocky Mountain Region.
We encourage and participate in educational outreach, juried and non-juried exhibits, lectures, workshops and regular chapter meetings. The RMSBA is proud to be the very first chapter affiliation of the international organization, the American Society of Botanical Artists.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Model Follow-up

Earlier, we posted Frank Merrem's model image, and the resultant drawing. Here's a bit of follow-up on that project from Frank:

"I'm attaching two of my very quick sketches I did in a microscope class. Time was just not on my side in doing a reasonably accurate drawing of some of the compound curves I was seeing. So, well, the model was the best bet. I could turn, light, think about, draw the model and then do it all over again if something still did not look right. The model did not need to be a perfect copy of the original (no sepals and only the suggestion of a receptacle and stem), but only accurate in the areas of problems with my eye-to-hand-to-paper drawings. In some ways, making the model gave me a better "feeling" of what I was about to draw.Libby you are right AGAIN - sigh: use all of you senses about something you are about to draw before you start the actual drawing - sigh." Thanks for sharing, Frank!




Frank's images drawn from the microscope are featured here! You an see a lot of thought went into figuring out the tiny image. The model was a good choice to pump up the volume!

No comments:

Post a Comment